A weekend with the guys


This weekend Sabrena will be heading out early in the morning for Mal's baby shower. Actually, she'll be putting it together and hosting Mal's baby shower. This means that I will hanging out at home - just me and the guys. Of course, by guys I means the boys plus their cousin Malakai (his mom is . . ..busy this weekend too.)

I know a lot my friends who are dads (and also a lot of dads who aren't friends) who stay at home with their kids always refer to it as babysitting the kids. I used to think that for them to use that term was ridiculous. It was as if when their wife was at home with their kids, its parenting or just being home with them. But if they have to stay at home alone while their wife goes somewhere, its babysitting. I've come to realize that this is probably the best term for them to use because I honestly believe that in their frame of mind, they don't plan on enjoying the time with their kids. Instead, they plan on thinking of all the things they could have planned to do or get done if they didn't have to be home and that frame of mind makes all the difference in the world.

So as I get my morning coffee ready and listen to all the kids (who got up this morning just before 6am) run around and shout, I will not be thinking about how I have to stay home and babysit today. No, instead I will just be hanging out at home with the boys, being dad - and parenting.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
blog comments powered by Disqus